harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor (was Re: [classlib][rmi] Code smell - Thread.sleep() in ActivationGroup method)
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:15:48 GMT

> I guess that if we could get 5.0 complete, we'd could *then* branch for
> 6, but I don't think we'd want to serialize like that.

I understand the dilemma. If we agree to have 1 stable, 1 'future' and N
suspended (old) branches as a rule we finally will tune our process and will
have almost no overhead to propagate changes from one branch to another. The
hell is when you do not have any stable schema and create long living
branches without reasons.

The success of preprocessor's idea is also heavily depends how will we use
it.
For example, what about "old versions"? Should we someday move the code into
separate branch or collect N-years old versions in the same source?

--
Mikhail Fursov