harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] what's the difference between the structure VM_thread and HyThread?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:40:28 GMT
Just my $0.02:
Actually VM_thread contains thread-local data. The VM_thread is a thread
local data by itself. HyThread keeps a pointer to it, so VM_thread is always
accessed from HyThread.
Some of the components, e.g. GCv4 and GCv5, keeps all thread local data in
VM_thread, but others JIT, GC_CC use more up to date method and request TLS
slots directly from TM.

Today we are in a transition from the old model when all TLS data was stored
in VM_thread to the new model - when every component requests TLS slots
independently from TM

--
Mikhail Fursov