harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gc] TLS access from GC: a proposal to refactor the code
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:32:19 GMT
On 10/25/06, Nikolay Kuznetsov <nikolay.kuznetsov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> in general we do not have any objections to implement such
> functionality, but as far as I understand this will be quite unique TM
> feature (no other threading library have this, or give me a link)
> which is intended to improve performance. And if we going to extend TM
> interface for this, I would like to have  any performance data
> beforehand, do we any data?
>
> Thank you.
>    Nik.

The patch 1949 emulates this behaviour without the support. The only
negative impact is the syntax. Instead of mapping the whole structure to
memory we have to operate with fields by offsets:
    void set_tls_current_free(unsigned char* v) {*(unsigned char**)(tls_base
+ tls_offset_current) = v;}
    void set_tls_current_cleaned(unsigned char* v) {*(unsigned
char**)(tls_base + tls_offset_clean) = v;}
    void set_tls_current_ceiling(unsigned char* v) {*(unsigned
char**)(tls_base + tls_offset_ceiling) = v;}

As for your request for additional performance data: I do not have any
today. But I put this in my TODO list.
--
Mikhail Fursov