harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gc] TLS access from GC: a proposal to refactor the code
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:19:44 GMT
Even if you do not need to have constant offsets, it's better to use TM
directly to allocate TLS slots.
In this case we can remove extra code from VM: the computation of the third
parameter in the next method:

extern Managed_Object_Handle (*gc_alloc_fast)(unsigned size,
Allocation_Handle type, void *thread_pointer);

> > Why do we need multiple slots? Can't we use just one slot, which
> > stores a pointer to a user data structure (the GC_Thread_Info in this
> > case)?
> >
> Yes you can store a pointer. But in this case you can't tell that you have
> constant offset from fs[14] to your data for all threads. So you can't
> inline your helper in JIT.
> --
> Mikhail Fursov

Mikhail Fursov