harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dlrvm] ClassCircularityError in recursive compilation (Was: Re: [drlvm] smoke test : gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest is really unstable)
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:04:10 GMT
On 10/24/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 12:32 Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> > Pavel, thanks
> > SUN passes both tests (with -Xcomp too), BEA(1.5) crashes as
> expected.Our
>
> I wonder why it is expected :)

I tried very similar test some time ago. So it's OK that the results are the
same with this test too.

> VM throws ClassCircularityError with both compilers and passes with
> > interpreter.
> > IMO we must add lazy resolution to both compilers in future. The reason:
> > be able to run everything SUN runs.
> > The question is when?
> > My answer: H1 2007.
>
> It is cool that we finally have tests which show the problems with out
> design
> and we seem to agree that lazy resolution is the only right way to resolve
> methods.

Wait a while :) Lazy resolution support is really tough requirement from
JIT. May be we can find another solutions soon?

I hope we all understand the same under "lazy resolution" but it would be
> better if you explained a bit how it is going to work.

Let's ask Alex Astapchuk to describe it. He tried to do it in JET, so he
knows more nuances about implementation problems.

--
Mikhail Fursov