harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] “java.compiler” property
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:18:11 GMT
On 10/17/06, Pavel Pervov <pmcfirst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mikhail,
>
> EM, as I see it, is interchangeable component. Should we require defining
> "
> java.compiler" for interpreted mode from all EMs?

EM does not know the semantic of options it adds to the system properties.
See client.emconf file to see how options are passed to JIT and EM knows
nothing about their meaning.
EM configuration is very convenient place to put all options that affect the
current execution mode. And if you want to have meaningful "java.compiler"
option a EM configuration file is the only place.

My idea is to initialize "java.compiler" to some default value ("none"?) in
> VM, and then overwrite it with actual value wherever actual information is
> available (in EM in our case).

EM does not override system options that are already set. Such a behaviour
allows to  make cmd-line option to have higher priority then those in EM
configuration file. I would vote to keep the behaviour.

And one question follows: what if we have three different JITs defined in EM

> configuration file? :) What value "java.compiler" will contain in this
> case?

client.emconf already has 3 JITS configured inside. The common name for the
configuration is 'client mode'

--
Mikhail Fursov