harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] the big soup of VM properties (HARMONY-1626)
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:08:49 GMT
On 10/10/06, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mikhail,
> BTW, what would you say if all JIT-specific properties were kept
> separately? E.g. if there were JAVA, VM, JIT types of properties
> storage, would it be of some convenience to JIT side? Just curious :)

I think it would be convenient if we can assign them from the command line.
Right now we have -Dvm. -Xem. -Djit. -Dgc. set of properties.
You propose to emphasize them with -X prefix, so we have -XDvm. -XDem. and
-XDgc. as the result.
Your approach is better because the namespaces are separated. It's safer and
we remove potential problems when a property with the same name appears in
user's code.
The old approach is better because it's do the same using less entities.

--
Mikhail Fursov