harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: README.txt patch Was: [drlvm] NPE is thrown when the kernel tests are run on Windows at revision 448448
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:54:39 GMT
Nadya, here is my 2 cents:

On 10/6/06, Morozova, Nadezhda <nadezhda.morozova@intel.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please go to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1631  to find a
> patch for README.txt. Could you please find a chance to check whether the
> information is up-to date?
> (pay special attention to KNOWN ISSUES and TODO sections)
> In this connection I'd like to ask you to:
>
> 1. Check whether we need info about the compilers described below:
>
>       + Microsoft 32-bit C/C++ Compiler, version 7 or higher
>         + Windows platform SDK
>         + Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 or higher
>         + Intel C++ Compiler, version 9.0

I think yes, we must point all of compilers we support. May be it worth to
point the GCC versions we tested too.
For example I'm not sure DRLVM is compilable with MSVC2005.

3.7 You can switch between the different compilers and modes by using
>     the environment variables, as follows:
>
>                             On Windows*:             |  On Linux*:
>
>                             -------------------------+----------------------
>     MSVC compiler     :     set CXX=msvc           # |  N/A
>     Intel(R) compiler :     set CXX=icl              |  export CXX=icc
>     GCC compiler      :     N/A                      |  export
> CXX=gcc         etc

I think that this information is also useful.
Do you think that README file is too bloated?

4. Do we really need all stuff specified as additional (section
2.TOOLSAND   ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES REQUIRED FOR THE BUILD)?

I vote to have this chapter and + to describe briefly how to obtain and how
to set classlib directory.

Your suggestions/comments/ideas are very welcome. :)

--
Mikhail Fursov