harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Yuri Kashnikoff" <yuri.kashnik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][em] Value-profiling implementation is avaible.
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 05:05:29 GMT
2006/10/30, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com>:
> Hi Yuri.
> Value profile is a profile that is really needed for set of JIT
> optimizations.
> What do you want to improve in JIT exactly?
First of all I want to imporove the devirtualization, using value
profiling feedback. And now I found that some other optimization could
use value profling, if it is interesting I can put some ideas here for
considering.

For Geir and other non-Jit-nerds (I'am not JIT-nerd alredy but I'am
trying to become one of them), I'll try to explain what the value
profiling is and how it could be used for increasing JIT performance.

Devirtualization of virtual calls.
We have some virtual calls. And we know that in some program
realisation of some method A used more often (for examle 1000 times)
and antoher realisation of this method B used only 10-20 times. So
this information could be usefull for recompiling the Hot Method A.
And Value Profiler brings this information to JIT.