harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] POLL : supported platforms
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 13:40:13 GMT

> Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> >>
> >> Great!  Write that down with your votes.  (Note, I was just kicking this
> >> off, not being comprehensive...)
> >>

> > OK,  I'll try to add more restrictions to the list.
> >
> > 1) DRLVM JIT has a limitation today: we can run only on PC with SSE/SSE2
> > support.
> > This can be an advanced task for JIT gurus to add x87 support, but before
> > that we can't claim that we officially support hardware without SSE2.
> >
> > 2) Do we need to add to the 'officially supported' list platforms that are
> > unable to run HelloWorld app?
>
> I don't understand - how would it be supported if it didn't work?

What do you mean by "work"? Runs hello world app?
At the point we decide to support a new
platform it's unlikely that the new platform "works".

But if we don't support a platform then we doubtfully will be able to make
it running even hello, because each our commit could make the code for
that unsupported platform worse and worse.

I think if we decide to support a platform then we define a set of tests that
must pass on that platform after each commit and we do roll back if they
fail. That is how I understand "support"

Thanks,
Mikhail