harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Incubator graduation update
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:30:48 GMT
On 10/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [...]
> very well together, collaboratively, in a positive and friendly
> atmosphere, and have demonstrated time and again the ability to vote,
> deal with issues that arise in voting, deal with differences of opinion,
> amass great hunks of software into an orderly project, etc.
>
> That said, I'm not very optimistic that we'll be able to bring this to a
> close in time for this month's board meeting.  It's a shame, but that's
> ok - we're really in no rush, and if not this month, then next month.
> There are no major problems - it's partially because of the rather short
> timelines we tried, and partially because there are a few issues under
> discussion on the general@incubator.apache.org list, a list I encourage
> all of you to subscribe to and participate in.
>
> First, there are minor 'nits' here and there related to license and
> license headers.  For example, we're missing the antlr license in our
> NOTICE file.  Patch anyone?  Also, there are other minor things here and
> there which can be found with this tool :
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/arat/
>
> Anyone interested in running it ASAP and giving us a set of patches to
> get a clean bill of health?
>
> Second, we're having a discussion on the general@ list (in which we all
> can participate) regarding the necessity of a project going through a
> release.  This isn't actually an Incubator requirement, but the case
> where information on community health and dynamics is absent or scarce,
> it's a reasonable exercise.
>
> However... for Harmony, that isn't the case. I've been arguing that
> there's plenty of information on us.  All four of us mentors (Stefano,
> Leo, Dims and myself) reported very positive independent assessments of
> the community (go read on general@) and we have 18 months of consistent,
> positive interaction with each other. My thinking was that
>
> 1) A release is something that we haven't wanted to do yet as a project,
> as our interest is in producing a more complete and stable
> implementation first.  We have a roadmap, it's been published for a
> while now, and at least for me, it's the goal that I'm looking towards
> every day.  (heck... we're still deciding what "supported" means...)
>
> 2) We're not stable enough to do something we want to shout out to the
> world as a "developer release" or similar.  We will be ready soon, but
> not now.  (This is just my personal opinion - others may certainly
> differ...)
>
> Anyway, that's what I feel about it.  There are Incubator PMC members
> that have decided that there is ample information (Dims, Stefano and Leo
> really hit it out of the park with their assessments... thanks guys!)
> and have changed their minds, and I'm hoping to reach consensus with the
> rest that there *is* enough information.
>
> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a

I was under impression that you are against releasing "a piece of Harmony"
[1]. Particularly, you wrote: "There no sense in releasing just a
classlibrary or a virtual machine.  Or a toolset.  You need the whole pile."

IIUC now it is OK to release harmony-ketool-v1.0.tar.gz. Right?

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200609.mbox/%3c73C11BEE-5156-4581-A768-95046E5C7A72@pobox.com%3e

Any other ideas, and any other thoughts?