harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][auth]LoginContext should always invoke the LoginModules?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 02:56:43 GMT
On 9/29/06, Paulex Yang wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I'm not a security expert, so please correct me if I miss something. I
> found some different behavior of Harmony and RI on
> javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext, the testcase[1] shows the
> difference.
>
> Actually I tried to create the event sequence like below:
> 1. create LoginContext with some Subject
> 2. LoginContext.login() and return successfully
> 3. Modify Subject's content to make it invalid(one Principal's name
> here, maybe passwd/username/servername in more general case)

Hi, Paulex

LoginContext doesn't verify Subject's contents - all requred info is
obtained with callback handler and passed to login modules. And login
modules check whether password/username are valid or not.

4. LoginContext.login() again

> In RI, the second login() invocation really tried to invoke the relative
> LoginModule.login() and then failed to login with the modified Subject,
> but in Harmony, both invocations succeed. I consider RI's behavior is
> more reasonable.
>
> After a rough look of LoginContext implementation, I found the cause may
> be the Ln. 275
>
>    private void loginImpl() throws LoginException {
>        if (loggedIn) {
>            return;
>        }
>    }

I think the spec. statement: "A LoginContext should not be used to
authenticate more than one Subject." was taken too strict: reusing
LoginContext object to get the same set of credentials seemed odd.
But if RI let LoginContext object to be reusable then it makes sense doing
the same.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Seems Harmony won't invoke the LoginModule.login() again only if the