harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1582 - invocation API for DRLVM CHECKPOINT
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:48:13 GMT
Hi Evgueni,

On 10/4/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have attached updated patch to the JIRA. It should resolve remain
> concerns. Andrey, could you give a green light now?

Thanks for updating the patch! I agree it it can be committed, at
least signatures look good. 5 revisions seem like more than enough :).
Anyways, I think the remaining issues can be resolved with additional
patches. Thanks again for the good work and your patience.

Thanks,
Andrey.

> Thanks
> Evgueni
>
> On 10/4/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Andrey,
> >
> > I see your points. I think both approaches have advantages and
> > disadvantages. I think it is quite hard to say which approach is
> > better until we play with one VM only. I still feel like introducing
> > one more dependence is better than spreading code which deals with
> > attachment among VM and TM. We really get stuck. OK, just because I
> > want to move forward I will do required changes to remove
> > vm_create_jthread from TM. I believe that will resolve all our
> > disagreements and the patch will be applied soon.
> >

> > Thanks
> > Evgueni.

Clarify it

In

> > > Why do you think it is artificial? I would rather prefer not to throw
> > > vm_attach event from the jthread_attach() call at all than to add
> > > extra dependency. The idea of jthread layer is a Java face to
> > > hythread, it is meant to know either a little or nothing about the
> > > rest of VM. It may be logical to throw vm_attach call from the newly
> > > created thread, because there is no other way to let know VM the new
> > > thread is created. VM attach is a different case - VM already knows
> > > about new Java thread at the time of the AttachCurrentThread call.

> > > I imagine you need a daemon attribute since the TM is still managing
> > > the thread daemonality. TM is not managing thread name and group -
> > > they are all kept on the Java level, hence passing them may be
> > > excessive.

> > > As I suggested earlier, the best way to handle daemonality would
> > > probably be in pure Java - in j.l.Thread (or j.l.VMThreadManager) or
> > > whatever. You already lifted it up to the jthread level, but what if
> > > we can go a little bit higher...

> > > I see. Acually, I would love to keep the jthread_attach func-ty at the
> > > minimum level which will be needed to handle the only data that TM
> > > should be aware of. We need a formal boundary between jthread layer
> > > and vmcore (otherwise jthread won't have a much of sense, one may
> > > consider it just as a convenience set of functions in vmcore which are
> > > doing something with threading).

> > > That's bad. Given what you said, now it seems that the most preferable
> > > sequence for AttachCurrentThread impl still would be like:
> > > JNIEnv = vm_attach();
> > > jthread = create_jthread(JNIenv)
> > > jthread_attach(JNIEnv, jthread) // stores JNIEnv and Hythread into
> > > TLS, doesn't call vm_attach any longer.
> > > - this is almost what we had from the beginning...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andrey.

(Andrey mentioned this already).
jthread layer. It is better
from

JNIEnv (that is passed from
create new one for the new thread.
call and could be passed to
Why do you like JNIEnv

This is why TM likes

VM vm_attach()

JNIEnv->JavaVM
TM?

We need to think

JNIenv is
This
Do you

hythread_library_t in arguments,

and remove hythread_*_ex >functions.

but still use global variable for it.

Because I changed
can be good as temporary
VM and fix it according

VM code as if it

JavaVMInitArgs * vm_arguments);

So I need strong

there is no objects (maybe
would suggest to commit it ASAP.
when current VM crashes but the
just my understanding.

<weldonwjw@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
is added - hythread_lib_lock. How is that differ
that we already have? Each extra lock
add more possibilities for deadlocks, as well as can
impact the scalability (unless some of the existing
acquires exactly the same lock as
Probably I miss something but we need to be
IBM threading library now. This library has such
why I added it. Sounds right?

kind of sounds right but not quite.  Its a
with IBM threading library.  The
of IBM threading library that are JVM
to be compatible with the independent

library that assume a specific JVM
will need to find a solution that is
J9 folks).  The hythread_global_lock
I would like to see a concise
what hythread_global_lock protects, which
this lock, are there any restrictions
while holding this lock (like sleep or

with what your are saying. It's common
that should be resolved some how. I just
and added two missing functions.
the same problems as with hythread_exit
"[drlvm] [launcher] Executable hangs".

what's in the patch.diff, I printed it out.
 Most of it looks like straight forward
are some tricky parts.  I would like to
for these parts.  Using grep, I found 20
and ...suspend_disable... have been
reference pointer enumeration.  These are
 Please tell us who has looked at this code
I think it happpens now....

flaws in it?
problems we may want to discuss.
have "daemon" status or its completely java
thing.
to VM before attaching it to TM by calling
should callback VM to attach a thread
design of TM here ...... it implements

tmn_suspend_enable(),
names for the same binary
do the same thing??

names. tm_suspend_enable asserts that
before calling hythread_suspend_enable (in

Products Division

e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org

> > > --