harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Morozova, Nadezhda" <nadezhda.moroz...@intel.com>
Subject [doc]too many building instructions?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:26:19 GMT
Folks,

I've had a strange impression just now that we have too many building
instructions for Harmony sources:

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_cla
sslib.html Building Class Library only

[2] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.htm

[3] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html - building
instructions for the whole bundle (VM + Classlib), in a short and
detailed versions; the detailed version (for contributors) has specifics
for building classlib and vm in addition to common steps

[4] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/FrontPage - startup Wiki page that
has a link to [1], a placeholder for a future page
BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting. The last two pages
seem to have similar intentions - show specifics/typical errors when
building code.

[5] READMEs for Classlib and for VM, with links to some of the sources
above or repetition of these sources.

Does this not seem like writing about actually the same thing in many
places? My suggestion on improving this would be:

1.	Remove [1], migrate unique bits (not repeated elsewhere) to [2]
or [3] as fits better.
2.	Edit [4] to replace the BuildingInstructions link from [1] to
[2], so that instructions for both classlib and vm are retrievable.
3.	Place a More Details link at [3] to [2], work to minimize
repetition between these.
4.	Name BuildingHintsForClasslib and VMBuildTroubleshooting in a
similar way to show that they are about the same thing.

I am sorry if this all sounds confusing or if I missed/misunderstood
some things. Just trying to keep things in a minimal number of places -
for easier maintenance and browsing.

Cheers,

Nadya Morozova