harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] How to debug the drlvm with gdb?
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:24:05 GMT
On 20 Oct 2006 19:15:46 +0700, Egor Pasko <egor.pasko@gmail.com> wrote:

> >To sum up my thoughts:
>
> >* debugging_VM_and_JIT
> >+ is outdated
> >+ covers both linux and windows debugging tips intermixed
> >+ has instructions for JET tracing (quite valid)
>
> >* Let's make make it 2 separate docs: "Linux debugging" and >"Windows
> >debugging". A new guy reading one of these two docs will most >likely
> >not want to read another. The interection between the two would >be
> >rather small (promise)
>
> >* I listed a number of linux quickstart HOWTOs which, I think, is >a
> >good base for the "Linux debugging" part.
>
> >* Mikhail supports the MSVC project file(s) and can add >something to
> >"Windows debugging" doc (Mikhail, do you love technical writing?:)

Sounds good. For MSVC debugging, we don't really need project and solution
files.

devenv /debugexe executable to debug any exe
and vs7jit -p pid to attach to a running process

are fine and generate a temp. debug solution file on the fly. It is really
very straightforward. But it does not hurt to say all this in a simple doc.

>* Let's make the 3rd doc "DRLVM Advanced Debugging and Bug >Isolation"
> >(Some people around are having good ideas on it). JET traceing >would
> >move here.

Agree

>* there are some shortcomings (in both classlib and DRLVM) that >do not
> >allow us to enable a usable debug build quickly. And description
> >falls into a category like "hack here and there if you like". That's
> >not what the ideal instructions should be. Maybe, it makes sense >to
> >postpone the task until we enable default debug builds >everywhere.

Agree with this too.

>* Thaking the one above into account, I would suggest to start >"Linux
> >debugging" on Wiki. Does it make sense to put it in the FAQ? >How do
> >you like the idea of Harmony_Debug_Troubleshooting on Wiki?
>
> >did I forget something?

As Nadya suggests below...