harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Neverov" <ilya.neve...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] creation of "jdktools"
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:55:17 GMT
Hello,

I want to gather opinions about structure of the "jdktools" component.

I'm going to create scripts for moving tools' sources from classlib/
to top-level directory jdktools/ and to prepare patches for build
system for building tools from new place.

I think the following structure will be appropriate for future
evolution of the jdktools:

jdktools/trunk/
               build.xml
               make/
               doc/
               modules/
                       jre/         #  keytool, tool launcher go here
                          build.xml #  classes go to jdk/jre/lib/tools.jar
                          make/
                          src/
                       jdk/         #  javac, jarsigner go here
                          build.xml #  classes go to jdk/lib/tools.jar
                          make/
                          src/
                       jdwp/        #  separate module for large component
                          build.xml
                          make/
                          src/

Assumptions which look reasonable for jdktool's build subsystem:

1) it works in presence of built classlib (as HDK binaries or as a
result of classlib phase of overall build);
2) the 'jre' module is always built before building 'jdk' to provide
generic tool launcher and the jre/lib/tools.jar. Probably it will be
easy to obtain these items from HDK.

I'm rather newbie in the Harmony build system so your thoughts will be
very helpful.

Thank you
-Ilya

On 10/19/06, Ilya Neverov <ilya.neverov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> Looks like that creating the "jdktools" source tree and build was
> shaded by other tasks. I can help with preparing and checking updates
> in the build system. Please let me know what needs to do in this area
> (besides svn commits) to complete the task.
>
> I'm especially interested in completing the move to "jdktools"
> structure since there will be a home for the JDWP code, which has beed
> voted but still resides in JIRA. Working with SVN will be easier.
>
> Thanks.
> -Ilya

> > yep, that's the plan.   And once we have that, we can simplify the
> > launcher as well...
> >
> > Tim Ellison wrote:
> > > +1 for creating a jdktools directory.  The dependency on the classlib
> > > launcher should be relatively light if we go with a simple tools
> > > launcher that rewrites the tool invocation into a generic launcher
> > > invocation.  You may recall the idea was discussed a while ago.
> > >
> > > So, for example,
> > >   jdk/bin/javac -source 1.5 -J-Xmx200M  FooBar
> > > is rewritten to
> > >   jdk/jre/bin/java -cp jdk/lib/tools.jar;jdk/lib/ecj.jar -Xmx200M
> > > org.apache.harmony.tools.javac.Main -source 1.5 FooBar
> > >
> > > and so on.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tim

I'd