harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] debugging on msvc -- getting debug symbols to load
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:08:41 GMT

> The way you debugging should work.
>
> I use MSVC + Visual Assist as code browser + I do not use __asm(int
> 3)-like
> breakpoints, therefore working with complete projects is more convenient
> for
> me.

Actually all that is required is a single int 3.  It simply activates the
debugger.  Normal breakpoints can be set once the int 3 is hit.

BTW I noticed that when VM is crashed the "Debug" button in the dialog opens
> VS debugger with all stack lost...(is it a conflict with thread stack
> dumping functionality?)
> So I always run from MSVC and use integrated breakpoints functionality.

This sounds very much like what I experienced before I did the below.  When
the above dialog box opens, are you running from msvc debugger or from a
msdos console window?  It seems msvc 2003/2005 can't find the debug symbols
if drlvm is run from command line and hits a debug event such as a
sigsegv, assert(0) or int 3.