harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni][charset]Strange behavior of UnicodeBig
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:22:16 GMT
On 10/17/06, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Andrew,
> I think I got the point. The j.l.String of RI uses the encoding of IO
> whereas Charset.forName use another of NIO.

exactly!

And the new problem is shall we follow the spec[1] to support the two
> suites of charset implemetation? I just have a look and find we does
> not support some Canonical Name for java.io and java.lang API such as
> UnicodeBigUnmarked,UnicodeLittleUnmarked,UnicodeBig,Unicodelittle,etc.

I think we have no choice because spec has explictly pointed out the basic
charset name for java.io,java.lang and nio, which includes "UnicodeBig". So
the problem left is how, not whether. :-)

Mapping may solve this problem. We may map:
1. io/lang -> nio
2. nio -> io/lang
3. io/lang/nio -> icu

BTW, does current nio.charset implementation support "UnicodeBig"? There're
a little differences between "UnicodeBig" and "UTF-16 BE":
UnicodeBig: Sixteen-bit Unicode Transformation Format, big-endian byte
order, with byte-order mark
UTF-16 BE: Sixteen-bit Unicode Transformation Format, big-endian byte order

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html