harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:48:05 GMT
On 10/7/06, Alexey Petrenko <alexey.a.petrenko@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/10/6, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pavel.ozhdikhin@gmail.com>:
> > What would you do if you need to commit a patch to some Linux-specific
> > code in VM?
> And I do not have Linux?
> I will not commit this patch of course. And will ask another committer
> to do this.

Right, you won't commit patches that require checking on the platform
you don't have. This is not because the criteria require this, this is
because you understand that you can't test it properly. I propose that
we introduce the criteria which will support our common sense and make
our development more determined.

> Pavel, again. I understand your concern and I think that testing a
> patch different platforms is really good approach.
> But I'm afraid that it is unreal to set this as a requirement for all
> the commiters and all the patches.

I think this depends on the requirements. Would you agree for example,
to switch to a particular compiler version if all committers agree to
use it? This might be a first requirement.

> But this is should not be a big problem. Because we have a regression
> tests. So if one committer commits something on Linux and accidentally
> breaks something on Windows another community member will catch it.

The problem is that a concious contributor can not pass tests and
submit his/her patches until code is broken. Also a contributor can
not be sure passing all tests is enough to make sure the committer
will pass thesame  tests with this patch. I'm not sure even that
currently all the committers use the same GCC version.

Anyway, thanks for your attention to the problem!

> > The commit criteria my be either as simple as a list of configs or
> > have also some exclusions. For example, there is no much sense to test
> > on Linux a patch for a source file which is not even compiled on
> > Windows.
> >
> > On 10/7/06, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I only have Windows/MSVC2003/IA32, if you're looking for anecdotal evidence.

When
IMO,