harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:56:05 GMT
Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> What are the reasons to exclude the most standard solution here: branching.
> Do you think we need a lot of them?

I don't think we are excluding any option for maintaining similar code
streams (5.0 & 6.0, SE & ME, etc.) it's just a discussion at the moment.

Similarly, I'm not advocating the use of aspects for maintaining
different code streams; but rather I was saying that IDE support is
likely going to be a requirement for any technology (apt, preprocessor,
post-processing, aspects, ...) that we choose to solve the problem.

I'm sure we wouldn't even want simple branching without a decent merge
tool to keep things in sync.

I agree with Geir that we should endeavour to choose a technology that
has broad tooling support.

Regards,
Tim

--