harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor (was Re: [classlib][rmi] Code smell - Thread.sleep() in ActivationGroup method)
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:33:02 GMT

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>>> At the same time I don't feel completely comfortable with the idea
>>> of using preprocessor to separate J2SE sources from J2ME.
>> I'm not overjoyed either, but I can't think of many ways that allow
>> fairly clear readability without don't require tons of IDE-specific
>> tooling.  This is what bothers me about aspects - can you get a real
>> clue what's going to happen looking at the source code?
>
> To be fair though, it's pretty hard to see what is going on in any large
> software system without IDE support.  If you haven't looked at AspectJ
> [1] for a while it's worth looking again -- they do a pretty cool job of
> showing what is going to happen with aspects applied.

I can't find the plugins for IDEA :)

I know what you mean, but I can tend to reach for any of the main IDEs
and work on most projects.  It's just when a project mandates an IDE
that I get itchy.

Now, I know in our case that we may have to do that and I'm willing to
completely go to the dark side and use Eclipse all the time (and aspectJ
has support for more than one because of it's history... it didn't start
at Eclipse...), but I'm hoping there are enough clever people around so
we can get a broad set of tools...