harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][jvmti][testing] I want to add JVMTI tests to drlvm commit checks
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:17:37 GMT

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 02:27 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> So I should either create a new 4th category for tests with custom build
>>> file, or extend one of the current categories which we have. The most
>>> close to what I need is probably smoke tests category. I need to add
>>> building native code part and add a custom command line setting
>>> somewhere.
>>>
>>> Or do you think I should go with completely new tests category?
>> New category
>
> Hmm... I shouldn't have asked, or I wouldn't receive two different answers :)
>
> I don't want to create a huge discussion out of it like most [testing]
> discussions become. Just want to know your arguments to create one more tests
> category.

Because the current frameworks are... wacky.  I can't turn off smoke
tests without *recompiling* the test.  The c-unit test rig is kinda
cool, but inappropriate.  Maybe kernel could be used.

it sounds like you just want to launch a set of conventional junit tests
with a special invocation of java to get the agent running, right?

> Now that I looked at the smoke tests build more closely and found a paths
> problem which I don't know how to fix, I am also inclined to make my own
> build script to have it separated. <joke>I would at least know how it works
> and own this secret like someone who wrote smoke build script does.</joke>

That's what I was hoping to avoid.  Something conventional.  JUnit or
TestNG (TestNG! TestNG!), and a separate ant script invoked from main
script.

geir