harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor (was Re: [classlib][rmi] Code smell - Thread.sleep() in ActivationGroup method)
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:37:31 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
>> At the same time I don't feel completely comfortable with the idea
>> of using preprocessor to separate J2SE sources from J2ME.
>
> I'm not overjoyed either, but I can't think of many ways that allow
> fairly clear readability without don't require tons of IDE-specific
> tooling.  This is what bothers me about aspects - can you get a real
> clue what's going to happen looking at the source code?

To be fair though, it's pretty hard to see what is going on in any large
software system without IDE support.  If you haven't looked at AspectJ
[1] for a while it's worth looking again -- they do a pretty cool job of
showing what is going to happen with aspects applied.

I agree with your point that it's not going to be helpful to require
"tons of IDE-specific tooling".

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/

Regards,
Tim