harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Etienne Gagnon <egag...@sablevm.org>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Class unloading support
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 17:58:24 GMT
Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you suggest to increment
> per-classloader object counter on allocation... It can be much
> overhead with the solution, as most of the objects die young.
> Do I miss something?

No, I was thinking about a "per-class" counter.  Actually, a counter is
not needed.  A simple boolean is suffucient (one boolean per gc
generation in each class), so the cost would be a single inconditional
memory write per object allocation.  I would think that this would be
lost in the noize of object field "zero" initialization. No?

Etienne