harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Class unloading support
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:10:24 GMT

Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> My knowledge in this area is limited. But my understanding was that web
> servers and other similar hosts recycled processes periodically as
> standard procedure, thereby tearing down all associated resources.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with what would be happening in the app
server the web server talked to, if one had an architecture where a web
server "fronted" for the app server.

> So
> classes loaded, but not used for a while went away anyway;

Nope - they aren't loaded in the context of the webserver (when using
httpd).

> this level of
> resource management was not really urgent. I know that IIS does this, I
> am not sure about httpd. I am not sure about other host environments.

But a process fork model (or thread model) of a webserver has nothing to
do with what's going on in the VM.

I'm talking about servlet engines and app servers like Tomcat and
Geronimo which have nothing to do with httpd.  Architecturally, they are
separated from the web server (unless you don't use an external
webserver, and just use the httpd connector in tomcat) and are separate,
independent processes.

     httpd  <------>  Tomcat

The java-based app servers are long running processes, running for weeks
or months.  We need to do clean class unloading.

geir