harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [general] Board resolution for Apache Harmony project
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:34:46 GMT
I've been anticipating this moment for 2 years now...  :)

While it doesn't seem possible given infrastructure issues that are
interfering with mail to get something in front of the board tomorrow
(plus the fact that the board likes things in advance) if a miracle
happens I'd like to try, and if not, we need this anyway for next month,
so we should get this put to bed (and back to work).

Here's a proposed resolution to put before the board to create Apache
Harmony as a Top Level Project (TLP) of the ASF.   As per a discussion
on the -private list, it's been suggested that I be offered as the
candidate to the board as the PMC chair, so I filled in that blank, but
that's open for discussion like everything else in this proposal.  (The
board chooses a chair - we just make the suggestion).  There's no real
rush to get this in tomorrow - as I said, it's really unlikely anyway -
so please speak up with comments or concerns.

                - 0 -

Establish the Apache Harmony project
====================================

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software implementing Java virtual machines, related
class libraries, and other software that is commonly associated with
Java platforms, for distribution at no charge to the public.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Harmony PMC", be and hereby is established
pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Harmony PMC be and hereby is responsible for the
creation and maintenance of software related to Java virtual machines,
related class libraries, and other software commonly associated with
Java platform implementations; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Harmony" be and hereby is
created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the
Board of Directors as the chair of the Harmony PMC, and to have primary
responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Harmony PMC; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Harmony PMC:

     * Nathan Beyer       (ndbeyer@apache.org)
     * Tim Ellison        (tellison@apache.org)
     * Mark Hindess       (hindessm@apache.org)
     * George Harley      (gharley@apache.org)
     * Mikhail Loenko     (mloenko@apache.org)
     * Geir Magnusson Jr. (geirm@apache.org)
     * Stepan Mishura     (smishura@apache.org)
     * Weldon Washburn    (wjwashburn@apache.org)
     * Paulex Yang        (pyang@apache.org)

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Geir Magnusson Jr be
appointed to the office of Vice President, Harmony, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Harmony PMC be and hereby is tasked with the
creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development and
increased participation in the Harmony Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Harmony PMC be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Harmony podling;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Harmony podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

                     - 0 -

Comments please?

geir