harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Incubator graduation update
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:05:15 GMT

Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
>> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
>> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
>> Pack200 jar :)
>
> :-) So, you're saying I've got less than a month to finish it ...

Nope!  This was my worry - that this "testing" would disrupt normal
life.  Keep going at whatever course and speed you want.  The point of a
release would be to do the release, not show working perfect code.

> I'll probably be able to get *something* ready for a release, but I
> doubt it will be fully compliant by then. The problem is that
> decompressed Jars are supposed to be exactly the same for any
> decompressor, so that MD5 signatures remain valid afterwards. What I
> can probably get is an unpacked Jar that will execute, but might be in
> a different ordering or have different MD5 signatures for components.
> The problem is that there's a lot of possible combinations of input
> files ...

Don't worry :)

> I've also tended to do fairly large code drops in patches, because it
> normally means a few days between submission and when it can be
> applied (thanks for the last one Paulex :-) I'd prefer to submit
> smaller patches as and when new functionality is added, but it would
> take longer that way.

Small patches would be better ;)

> PS When's the code going to be moved to a jdktools subproject?

That's actually a subject for a separate thread - given that the core
code is in the classlib, we can't...

geir