harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Incubator graduation update
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:19:05 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
>> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
>> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
>> Pack200 jar :)
>
> :-) So, you're saying I've got less than a month to finish it ...
>
> I'll probably be able to get *something* ready for a release, but I
> doubt it will be fully compliant by then. The problem is that
> decompressed Jars are supposed to be exactly the same for any
> decompressor, so that MD5 signatures remain valid afterwards. What I
> can probably get is an unpacked Jar that will execute, but might be in
> a different ordering or have different MD5 signatures for components.
> The problem is that there's a lot of possible combinations of input
> files ...
>
> I've also tended to do fairly large code drops in patches, because it
> normally means a few days between submission and when it can be
> applied (thanks for the last one Paulex :-) I'd prefer to submit
> smaller patches as and when new functionality is added, but it would
> take longer that way.
You are welcome:).

About the size of patches, IMO it's a dilemma, if the patch is large and
contains too many information for committers to understand in a glance,
it generally needs more time to get it applied; while a relative smaller
patch with clear objective and reasonable tests probably has more chance
to go in the SVN very soon.

> PS When's the code going to be moved to a jdktools subproject?
I can do that if no one objects(I personally +1 for that, but I'm
waiting for more committers' opinion on this issue), and if you can
provide a script to do that(svn move or so), it would be nice.

> Alex.

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM