harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] supported platforms
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:49:30 GMT

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I think we can define "support" as - "one or more people in the
>                                                     ^^^^^^^
>
> I think in place of "people" should be _"committer"_.
>
>> community tests on that platform on a regular basis, there are users
>> that use that platform, and we have people volunteering to find and fix
>> bugs that specifically affect that platform"
>
> As a person who tried to fix Linux/x86_64 problems several times,
> I can say that the fixes by themselves are not the only thing that
> matters. The platform can't be considered supported, if at any
> given moment of time is likely to be broken, and the fixes are likely
> to be floating somewhere in JIRA.
>
> Certainly, Linux/x86_64 can not be considered "supported" now,
> despite of the fact that *there are* people regularly running it
> and sending patches.
>
> As of the future, when we hopefully will have more committers, I think
> we can *observe* the increase in number of supported platforms.
> Each committer will have to decide for himself, which platforms s/he
> will check before each commit, and what to watch for in JIRA.
> If the committer is doing job well, then and only then we can declare the platform "supported".
> And the platform will stay "supported" only as long as committer is keeping it running.
>
> Anyway, my point is that supported platform is not something that we non-committers
> can decide on.

I don't agree. "people" that support platforms become "committers" that
support platforms, and the opinions of non-committers is always
important.  A project that exists for the pleasure of it's committers
only is not really our goal in an Apache project.

> P.S. As of the poll, the platforms I have access to and checking occasionally are
>
> Windows/i686 XP
> Linux/i686 SUSE 9 (planning upgrade to SUSE10 soon)
> Linux/x86_64 SUSE 9 (planning upgrade to SUSE10 soon)

Thanks.  We need a clear set of defn's.  What is "i686" to you?

geir