harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:51:11 GMT
sorry for the late reply...

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> I see - sorry, I was getting my API/impl/injected jargon mixed up.
> Really I was thinking about
> the distinction between tests that run on the bootclasspath (injected)
> and those that dont, rather
> than between the publicly spec'ed classes (api) and our internal
> implementations (impl).
>
> I agree that we may need 4 jars for the most complicated modules. I
> don't see this as a problem
> myself - as long as they are clearly named I don't think the number of
> jars is an issue.

I disagree.  We should not confuse the physical packaging of the test
code in JARs with the grouping of tests between API and Impl (and
platform-specific and VM-specific etc, etc).

We need to package separately only so we can install types on the
bootclasspath (bcp) vs. the application classpath (cp).  We use the
any-day-now test metadata to group the types of tests.  So we will only
ever need two JARs per module, the 'foo-tests-bcp.jar' and the
'foo-tests-cp.jar'.

Regards,
Tim

--