harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] version of gcc and other tools
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:40:51 GMT

Weldon Washburn wrote:
> My tools are:
>
> - WindowsXP
>    - MSVS .NET 2003
>    - ant-1.6.5
>    - Sun JDK 1.5.0_07_b03
>
> - Linux
>    - gcc 3.4.5
>    - ant-1.6.5
>    - IBM JDK 1.5.0_08_b03
>    - make 3.8.0
>
> How about the following first stab at Geir's idea of  "will work" tool
> chains?  The idea is to quickly converge the below so that I can call a
> vote
> on it.

I don't think we'll need a vote here - we'll be able to come to
agreement without that.

> -WindowsXP on laptop, Windows Server 2003 on servers
>     - MSVS .NET 2003
>    - ant-1.6.5
>    - Java JDK 1.5.0_xxxx
>
> - Linux
>    - gcc 3.4.xxx or higher
>    - ant-1.6.5
>    - Java JDK 1.5.0_xxxx
>    - make 3.8.0 or higher

We need a strict version of Java, I think, because IIRC, there was
problems with a recent patch level of the compiler from Sun.  I don't
remember how that was resolved.

I think that we also should try to switch completely to the eclipse
compiler, so we can include it as a downloaded dependency, and we all
are building using the same thing.

also, I'd like to define a "maximum" for the version of gcc/g++  - IOW,
we want to test up to 4.x.y, so when 4.x.z appears, we need to test first...