harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:46:40 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 11 October 2006 at 3:14, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 09 October 2006 19:54 Oliver Deakin wrote:
>>
>>> I see that you already said pretty much the same thing I did on another
>>> thread [1].
>>>
>>> IMHO we should make sure that if the fetch-depends target finds it
>>> cannot sym
>>> link to preinstalled system libraries, then the user is clearly informed
>>> so they have
>>> the choice to install them without having the archived file versions
>>> unpacked. So
>>> perhaps the fetch-depends step should still fail with a message saying
>>> something like
>>> "Could not resolve these dependencies, either build/install these
>>> packages manually
>>> or you can run this other target to have the archived versions unpacked
>>> into your
>>> dependency tree". (Hopefully a little clearer than that ;) )
>>>
>> This sounds very much like a configure script.
>>

> Indeed, and we may well end up with one of those at some point.
>

>> Check for installed libraries, fail if something is missing. I like it :)
>>

> I would like to be more helpful if we can.  Yesterday, I added the
> details of the required packages for Fedora Core 5.  Hopefully others
> will help get the instructions up dated for distributions they use.
> Otherwise, I will try to add instructions for recent SLES and RHEL in
> the next week or so.

Thanks for doing that Mark.

>> On Linux however all libraries are present in distributions (I buy you
>> a beer if you name a single Linux distribution which doesn't include
>> necessary development packages, knoppix not counted).
>>

> I'll get my better half to start making more room in the fridge while I
> go through the list of distros at:
>
>   http://lwn.net/Distributions/
>
> I reckon I should get at least a six-pack just out of the embedded
> section alone. ;-)

Not if I get there first - thanks for the link ;)

>> Only Windows distribution doesn't include them, so for convenience
>> windows binaries may be cached for download on harmony site.
>>

> In time I expect we'll do the same for others like MacOS X, Aix, etc.

Yes, agreed - we should use the system libraries where possible as a
first choice, and
supply instructions for getting the required packages for those who
havnt already got
them. For OSes that do not distribute these libraries, we should provide
precompiled
binaries where possible, or at least some instructions on where to go
get them.

Regards,
Oliver

> Regards,