harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Spark Shen <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][luni] Tweaked native method name in file
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:31:38 GMT
Hi All:
After skimming through the source code of java.io.File, I found two
tweaked method names:

private native boolean isReadOnlyImpl(byte[] filePath);
private native boolean isWriteOnlyImpl(byte[] filePath);

Take isWriteOnlyImpl as an example,

canRead ->
exists && !Java_java_io_File_isWriteOnlyImpl() ->       => this method
is in native\luni\shared\file.c
getPlatformIsWriteOnly()  => this method is in
native\luni\linux\helpers.c, and the follow is the code snippet

if (buffer.st_uid == geteuid ())
    return (buffer.st_mode & S_IRUSR) == 0;
  else if (buffer.st_gid == getegid ())
    return (buffer.st_mode & S_IRGRP) == 0;

  return (buffer.st_mode & S_IROTH) == 0;

The name isWriteOnlyImpl is confusing, negate the return value of
isWriteOnlyImpl and uses it in canRead is confusing,
in native method getPlatformIsWriteOnly(), prob S_IRXXX bit is also
confusing and can not express the meaning writeOnly. Correct me if I am
wrong.
Since isWriteOnlyImpl is only utilized by canRead, I suggest the following:

change isWriteOnlyImpl to isReadableImpl, getPlatformIsWriteOnly to
getPlatformIsReadable and do the negation in getPlatformIsReadable:

canRead ->
exists && Java_java_io_File_isReadOnlyImpl() -> getPlatformIsReadable()

if (buffer.st_uid == geteuid ())
    return (buffer.st_mode & S_IRUSR) != 0;
  else if (buffer.st_gid == getegid ())
    return (buffer.st_mode & S_IRGRP) != 0;

  return (buffer.st_mode & S_IROTH) != 0;

This way, code is more readable and the method name
getPlatformIsReadable semantically matches it implemantation.
(The original name getPlatformIsWriteOnly seems not consistent with its
implmentation, correct me if I am wrong).

If no one objects, I want to supply a patch to do the enhancement.

Best regards

--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM