harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] VM throws NullPointerException in case java.class.path is not set
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:29:59 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Absolutely.  And if not, even the principle of "be kind to your users"
> dictates that we do something nice for them.

Agreed - being nice to the user where we can is a good thing! Having the
current directory on the classpath is pretty common - giving it to the
user by default costs nothing and saves them having to explicitly set it
in every launcher they write.

Regards,
Oliver

> geir
>
> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>> Oliver,
>>
>> You have provided strong arguments that RI uses current directory by
>> default. I think it makes sense to be compatible with RI in this
>> particular case.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Evgueni
>>
>> On 10/10/06, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I have just tried launching the RI with a simple launcher (very basic -
>>> CreateJavaVM(),
>>> finds and launches a class, then calls DestroyJavaVM()). The launcher
>>> does not
>>> set java.class.path, and executes the main method of the following
>>> class:
>>>
>>>   public class SysInfo {
>>>       public static void main(String[] args) {
>>>                   System.getProperties().list(System.out);
>>>       }
>>>   }
>>>
>>> The java.class.path value is printed as:
>>>
>>>  java.class.path=
>>>
>>> So it appears that java.class.path property is left empty by default.
>>> However,
>>> to have found the SysInfo class, the RI must have searched in the
>>> current
>>> directory. I can also instantiate other classes that are located in the
>>> current
>>> directory. So although the java.class.path is set to an empty string,

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited