harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] VM throws NullPointerException in case java.class.path is not set
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:40:25 GMT
I have just tried launching the RI with a simple launcher (very basic -
CreateJavaVM(),
finds and launches a class, then calls DestroyJavaVM()). The launcher
does not
set java.class.path, and executes the main method of the following class:

   public class SysInfo {
                   System.getProperties().list(System.out);
       }
   }

The java.class.path value is printed as:

  java.class.path=

So it appears that java.class.path property is left empty by default.
However,
to have found the SysInfo class, the RI must have searched in the current
directory. I can also instantiate other classes that are located in the
current
directory. So although the java.class.path is set to an empty string,
internally
there is a default inclusion of the current directory.

IMHO we follow the RI behaviour here, and have an implicit inclusion of
the current directory unless the classpath is explicitly set.

Regards,
Oliver

Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> It seems for me like pretty specified VM behavior to treat classpath
> absence as take classes from current directory. At least RI does like
> that when you don't specify classpath on command line.
>
> Evgueni
>
> On 10/10/06, Mikhail Fursov <mike.fursov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another solution could be a simple shutdown with the valid error
>> message.
>> Sometimes the error message is better than hidden behaviour.
>> So the alternative is to check all properties VM needs before running
>> real
>> startup and fail if some of the properties are not found.
>>

>> On 10/10/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Currently DRLVM starts with help of the launcher. The launcher does a
>> > lot of stuff required to create VM instatnce. As a part of its job it
>> > sets up java.class.path property. And this is good. What is not good
>> > that DRLVM crashes (actually throws NullPointerException in
>> > initalization stage) if java.class.path is not set. I believe it makes
>> > sense to point java.class.path to current directory inside VM if
>> > launcher doesn't set it.
>> >
>> > What do u think?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Evgueni