harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:46:40 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> We need to check both release and debug builds...the binaries and timing
> characteristics are too different. At this immediate stage of the
> project, I
> would suggest leaving out EM64T as part of mandatory testing( unless it is
> EM64T specific functionality, eg., codegen ). Too few contributors and
> committers have access to it. We are not yet at a stage where we can make
> this mandatory.
>
> If possible all submissions should be tested( by submitters ) on all the
> combinations identified . It is actually more urgent for submitters to do
> this. We should stop patches by email. Also, at this point, it is an honor
> system, we can't attach 6 before and after test logs to each JIRA
> submission. The committer could randomly check on one or more combination,
> ...the more the better obviously.
>
> In some cases, submissions will be platform specific ( eg., very new code
> like GC V5, platform specific bug fixes or a simple case of developer not
> having all the machines ). I would leave these to the committers'
> discretion.

Mandating that patches are pre-tested on a wide variety of machines is
not conducive to building a broad community of contributors since very
few people have access to all the machines and configurations we are
interested in.  I'd much prefer that we work optimistically and have
lots of people regularly building and testing the code to get the
broadest possible coverage.  We can backtrack if problems arise.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)