harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] Dynamic class loading
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:46:21 GMT
Nikolay Chugunov wrote:
> From the beginning of learning Java and till now I hate to compile java
> source code before run it. I propose to develop easy solution for this
> problem: compile java sources on fly.
>
> Command to do it can look like:
>

> java –cp …:mytool.jar
> -Djava.system.class.loader=classloader.MyClassLoaderHelloWorld
>

> When executing any application, if MyClassLoader does not find compiled
> class in class path, it will try to find file-source of this class with
> java
> extension in class path. If MyClassLoader finds this file, then
> MyClassLoader will compile source on fly and load class to MyClassLoader
> using *defineClass* method.
>

> The second improvement which I propose to develop is to load jar file from
> internet, if user specify URL to jar file in command line.
>

> MyClassLoader may cache compiled classes and loaded jars. MyClassLoader may
> use standard and Eclipse compiler to compile sources. Also MyClassLoader
> may
> compile on fly other sources (like Jasmin). The base of my tool will be
> existing URLClassLoader in Harmony.
>

> What do you think about my proposals?

hmmm, I've thought about implementing something like this several times
myself.... but I don't think you need to modify a JVM to achieve that,
you can just execute a "loader" class that than knows your "source path"
and has access to a nice compiler and does compilation at class loading
time.

or am I wrong?

--
Stefano.