harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: README.txt patch Was: [drlvm] NPE is thrown when the kernel tests are run on Windows at revision 448448
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:02:09 GMT
Why don't we just add this info to the getting started pages on the
website?    It's somewhat repetitive and we should just maintain in one
place.

Morozova, Nadezhda wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Please go to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1631  to find a patch for
README.txt. Could you please find a chance to check whether the information is up-to date?

> (pay special attention to KNOWN ISSUES and TODO sections)
> In this connection I'd like to ask you to:
>
> 1. Check whether we need info about the compilers described below:
>
>       + Microsoft 32-bit C/C++ Compiler, version 7 or higher
> 	+ Windows platform SDK
> 	+ Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 or higher
> 	+ Intel C++ Compiler, version 9.0
>
> 2. If we really need the aforementioned compilers, should we mention the
   following:

> 3.7 You can switch between the different compilers and modes by using
>     the environment variables, as follows:
>
>                             On Windows*:             |  On Linux*:
>                             -------------------------+----------------------
>     MSVC compiler     :     set CXX=msvc           # |  N/A
>     Intel(R) compiler :     set CXX=icl              |  export CXX=icc
>     GCC compiler      :     N/A                      |  export CXX=gcc         etc
>

> 3. Is this still a dependency for Linux?
>
>    libxml2 package
>
> 4. Do we really need all stuff specified as additional (section 2.TOOLS AND   ENVIRONMENT
VARIABLES REQUIRED FOR THE BUILD)?

> Your suggestions/comments/ideas are very welcome. :)
>
> Best regards,
> Nadya Morozova

ij as the name of our executable). Some things are also duplicated - we now have the nice
Quick Help pages for users [1] and developers [2]. As I see it, the Quick Start you've been
referring to roughly matches [1], whereas [2] is for those who have to 'read this README and
follow building instructions to the point.' :)

>> I suggest that we edit the README file more to improve it. What do you think? Do
you think we can use JIRA 1730 for these changes?

>> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html
>> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Nadya Morozova

> [...]