harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 17:06:57 GMT
Apologies for drifting off-topic...

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> Chris Gray wrote:
>>
>> Chris,
>>
>> I personally think it would be *very* nice to have Wonka and friends
>> donated to the Harmony Project, if only as a starting point for a very
>> portable and embeddable JVM.
>>
>> While Harmony is principally aimed at Java Standard Edition, it is not a
>> secret that many of us would like to continue on with Java Mobile
>> Edition once the standard edition is certified.
>
> Don't forget that you can have an embeddable SE - it doesn't have to be ME.

Is there a spec for the shape and behavior of headless SE and embeddable
SE etc.?  I have only seen passing references to what they are and how
they act like SE.

Regards,
Tim

> I fully expect that over time, this project will have multiple virtual
> machines, as well as multiple builds for classlib to support various
> deployment platforms.

and potentially configurations, though to tackle ME would require the
ability to subset the behavior of the existing types as well.

Regards,
Tim

>> I think Wonka could be a great seed in that respect.
>>

> +1
>
> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.