harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:55:44 GMT
Chris Gray wrote:
> Hi Noel,
>
>> Does this still include the hardware portability layer?  Any synergies with
>> APR?  Does it include the AWT code?
>
> And here is my reply to Noel's message:
>
> Hi Noel,
>
> The code runs on x86, ARM, MIPS, and PowerPC; basically it should run on any
> normal 32-bit processor (with or without MMU) for which a GNU toolchain
> exists. The OSwald internal RTOS is still there as an API, but we no longer
> use it to schedule Java threads within a Linux process, as recent changes to
> gclib mean that the __errno_location hack no longer works. On Linux we
> currently use o4p to map OSwald threads 1:1 onto pthreads.
>
> The OSwald API is a kind of alternative to APR. There may be synergies.
>
> The AWT code is included. It is mainly designed for LCD/touchscreen
> environments, either directly on a framebuffer or in a single X window (which
> we treat as a "virtual framebuffer").

Chris,

I personally think it would be *very* nice to have Wonka and friends
donated to the Harmony Project, if only as a starting point for a very
portable and embeddable JVM.

While Harmony is principally aimed at Java Standard Edition, it is not a
secret that many of us would like to continue on with Java Mobile
Edition once the standard edition is certified.

I think Wonka could be a great seed in that respect.

--
Stefano.