harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][logging] Best practices for logging within the Class Library?
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:27:23 GMT
We did this topic already <g>  it's even referenced from the website
[1].  So at the risk of repeating my super-super-duper high level view...

Why are we considering putting logging into the class library
implementation?

Is it for our end-users?  Do we expect them to turn on logging and look
at the contents to discover problems in our code? or perhaps discover
problems in their usage of the API?  Both of these seem like flawed
concepts.

Is it for us as developers?  Putting printf's in the code doesn't seem
like a very efficient way of figuring out how the code works, and just
clutters up the codebase.

I'd also object to having loads of modules depend on logging.

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/agreements.html

Regards,
Tim

Nathan Beyer wrote:
> There seem to be a number of places where logging would be useful
> within the class library (and Java parts of the VM), but the rules of
> engagement seems to be undefined, so it's not being used. Here's my
> super-duper high-level swipe at it.
>
> 1. Use java.util.logging for normal logging (somewhat obvious).
> 2. Do not use java.util.logging within luni, security and kernel
> modules; this is to prevent cyclical executions.
> 3. Use the class name for the name of the Logger; this is based on the
> assumption that classes will be packaged appropriately such that
> logging can be enabled by packages to get sub-system information.
> 4. Use the java.util.logging.Level javadoc [1] as a guide for the
> appropriate logging level for a particular message. When in doubt, be
> conservative and use lower levels (less than INFO).
>
> Thoughts, comments? The big question in my mind is what modules must
> be isolated from consuming java.util.logging (regarding 2 above). The
> other modules that might need isolation are archive and text, but I'm
> not sure about that. Any others?
>
> -Nathan
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/logging/Level.html

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)