harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] manifest information
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:21:13 GMT
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> We also need to keep Import-Package section up to date...

For sure, and (just to be clear to all) these are not just for Eclipse's
benefit, they are for our benefit as they are the definition of our
class library modularity.  When you add a new Import or Export you are
changing the module's interface and potentially adding new coupling.  It
should not be undertaken lightly.

I appreciate that it is hard to maintain the module boundaries if you
don't use a tool like Eclipse that warns you if you reach outside the
module definition; and we should consider adding such a check into the
automated build.

Therefore, I'd not be in favour of automatically updating the Imports
and Exports in the manifest -- it would hide any widening of the
inter-module dependencies and we could end up with the spaghetti code
evident in 'other popular implementations of the spec'.

Regards,
Tim

>> Can we consider making the final manifest that goes into our jars to be
>> created/updated dynamically?
>>
>> I just went through all manifests and added Specification-Version,
>> Implementation-Version, etc and they will change, at least the last one.
>>
>> I know the Eclipse people depend on them, so maybe can we used ant's
>> filtering to set the Impl-Version dynamically?  Or something like that?
>>
>> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.