harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [OFFTOPIC] [legal] a solution to our licensing issues with classpath
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 02:19:50 GMT
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html

So it seems that the GPL is compatible with the Apache License, because
MySQL says so, at least for Apache code they want to use, like APR.

I assume this means you could take a small snippet of MySQL, and use it
as a bridge between GPL code and Apache Licensed code?  Of course, their
section 2.2 says you still have to redistribute your source.

Suppose we then do the same thing independently, but make it a free
license - put out some code under the GPL with an exception that is like
the MySQL exception, but omits section 2.2 - doesn't force source
redistribution of the Apache Licensed work...

Run that by your favorite lawyer, but don't tell them I sent you :)

geir