harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Should URLClassLoader convert class names? (See HARMONY-1622)
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:24:49 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> FWIW the version in the IBM VME explicitly converts '/' to '.' in the
>> Main-Class: value before looking up the class.
>>
>> I suggest we support both, IMHO nobody will be relying on it failing
>> with '/'s.
>
> Sure, but the question is where. JarRunner or ClassLoader...

In JarRunner.

The ClassLoader spec states that :

 Binary names

Any class name provided as a String parameter to methods in ClassLoader
must be a binary name as defined by the Java Language Specification.

Examples of valid class names include:

       "java.lang.String"
       "javax.swing.JSpinner$DefaultEditor"
       "java.security.KeyStore$Builder$FileBuilder$1"
       "java.net.URLClassLoader$3$1"

Regards,
Tim

>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Looking at HARMONY-1622, I'm not convinced that we need to change
>>> JarRunner in DRLVM, but rather should figure out what the right thing to
>>> do is in classlib.
>>>
>>> The issue is having a MainClass in the manifest contain "/" :
>>>
>>>    geir/GeirTest
>>>
>>> versus
>>>
>>>    geir.GeirTest
>>>
>>> My simple quick test showed that the RI will throw an exception with the
>>> / and be ok w/ the .
>>>
>>> Currently, it's reported in 1622 that
>>> o.a.h.a.t.j.u.j.JarOutputStreamTest  fails on the "/" in the main class
>>> name.
>>>
>>> I think that's actually right, if we want to conform to the RI. Right
>>> now, though, either J9 does the conversion in it's JarRunner, or
>>> internally it's classloader infrastructure is more tolerant.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.