harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:36:42 GMT
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> If we plan to use HDK for supporting developers who work on single
> module (that is a good idea IMHO) then we definitely need to supply
> jar with tests.

Can I suggest that we have a separate test jar for each module? So
we'd have luni-tests.jar, security-tests.jar etc. This means that if a
developer
working on a single module creates a bug fix and a new test case, they only
need to rebuild the test jar for that particular module (they may only
have that single
module checked out, after all).

In fact, we will need to create separate test jars for bootclasspath and
classpath
tests, unless there is a way in Ant to specify which subsets of the file
tree within
a jar are on the bootclasspath/classpath - it's probably simpler to just
have
<module>-api-tests.jar and <module>-impl-tests.jar (or whatever naming
convention).

So IMHO we should:
1) Add bundling of <module>-<type>-tests.jar into the HDK to each module's
build.xml as a standard step of the test build process.
2) Alter the test execution Ant targets to always run the tests using
the prebuilt
<module>-<type>-test.jar's on the (boot)classpath - on the bootclasspath
we put "*-impl-test.jar" and on the classpath we put "*-api-test.jar".

This way running the tests against a prebuilt HDK will work without
rebuilding any
tests (because the test run targets will only expect the prebuilt jars)
and the
developer can easily rebuild a single module's set of tests by running its
compile-tests target (or something similar).

Does this sound reasonable?

Regards,
Oliver

wrote: