harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] Using the HDK ( was Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site )
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:52:12 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:

> I think we need more than one tests.jar.  In fact, I think we need
> more than one tests.jar per module since some tests need to be on the
> bootclasspath while others do not (and should not).  At the moment
> it might be necessary to have more since there isn't really a way to
> distinguish api/internal tests (this might change if/when we move to
> testng).

Yes, I think you are right,  and I think that this points to one of the
[predicted] challenges with using only annotations for test organization.

> We also need to ensure that properties.xml is available in the hdk -
> for access to the properties and the make macro.  (This is already
> on my todo list.)  I think we should probably create other macros
> to simplify the module build.xml files.  (For example, share the
> compile-tests/run-tests macros that are already defined in crypto, luni,
> rmi, security and x-net.)  This is also on my todo list.
>
> Also, since we've stated that when a module is change tests should
> be run on the module itself and it's immediate dependent modules, we
> really need a way to run other modules tests from a module.  This will
> be interesting due to the complexity of the test setup but might be
> slightly easier if the define common macros.  This is probably something
> to keep in the back of our minds - I wouldn't let it stop us making
> progress.

I wonder if we can generate some kind of dependency graph as part of the
build, so that if testing in a module, it can figure out the set of
modules to test that are "n-away" dependent.  (IOW, test module + 1-away
because it's quick, then before checkin test module + 2-away [or all])

geir