harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] version of gcc and other tools
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:02:11 GMT
On 10/13/06, Alexei Zakharov <alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd prefer to be using ECJ for our compiler, but I haven't heard
> > anything lately about getting that back into the build scripts.
>
> Do we still have a problem with it? If so - I've been using ecj for
> building the classlib for quite a long time already (without any
> tricks with moving ecj jar from one place to another). I believe I've
> already posted my configs one or two months ago.

Yes, there are certain generics syntax quirks that won't compile on
Sun's 5.0_7 compiler, but are valid. I've used ECJ for the builds as
well, but we need to get it integrated into build script, so that is
the default and works without config.

I'm not an Ant expert, so I'm not sure how to dynamically add items to
Ant's classpath. I'm guessing it could be introduced in the top-level
build's call to build-java.xml.

-Nathan

> Regards,
>
> 2006/10/13, Nathan Beyer <nbeyer@gmail.com>:
> > As Geir mentions, there a compiler difference's in Sun's JDK. The
> > changes are noticeable between 5.0_7 and 5.0_8. Note: Sun as released
> > 5.0_9.
> >
> > I'd prefer to be using ECJ for our compiler, but I haven't heard
> > anything lately about getting that back into the build scripts.
> >
> > -Nathan

> > > I don't think we'll need a vote here - we'll be able to come to
> > > agreement without that.

> > > We need a strict version of Java, I think, because IIRC, there was
> > > problems with a recent patch level of the compiler from Sun.  I don't
> > > remember how that was resolved.
> > >
> > > I think that we also should try to switch completely to the eclipse
> > > compiler, so we can include it as a downloaded dependency, and we all
> > > are building using the same thing.
> > >
> > > also, I'd like to define a "maximum" for the version of gcc/g++  - IOW,
> > > we want to test up to 4.x.y, so when 4.x.z appears, we need to test first...

here's a

and will