harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][logging] Best practices for logging within the Class Library?
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:16:49 GMT
Well, I still think that logging is useful sometimes.

> Is it for our end-users?  Do we expect them to turn on logging and look
> at the contents to discover problems in our code? or perhaps discover
> problems in their usage of the API?  Both of these seem like flawed
> concepts.

Yes, exactly. For end users. Not to discover problems in our code but
to discover problems in their configurations. For example the scenario
mentioned by Mikhail L. in [1]. Or with that long-suffering DNS
provider. The network conditions may change as time goes by. So users
may probably benefit from the knowing why they should wait so long
until their request is served.

And I also hold the opinion that the debug-level logging is not so
bad. In case we can easily remove it from critical parts of the code
of course.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c906dd82e0605301937n55705610w83a32a9783a7d39@mail.gmail.com%3e

Thanks,

--