harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] removing \t from sources
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:54:21 GMT
Hi all,

I noticed that the tab character (0x09) is still widely used in our
classlib source code. At least in tests. From my recent experience
this leads to broken indentation. I mean the situation when patch with
spaces is applied to the source there tab character is used for
indentation. Someone knows that according to Sun code conventions the
tab should be exactly 8 spaces. The other person knows that exactly
four spaces should be used as the unit of indentation [1]. As a result
we have all methods indented with the single tab character and the
patched methods indented with 4 spaces. And if your IDE is configured
to display tabs as 8 spaces you will see broken indentation. Or vice
versa.

I have created small ANT script - see HARMONY-1660 [2]. This script
converts all tabs to spaces in all found sources under the given
directory recursively. I will be grateful if someone runs this script
(tab -> 4 spaces) at least for beans tests (I currently working with)
and integrates the results. It is really painful to deal with this
broken alignment every day. And it is too boring (and IMHO silly) to
convert it file by file and send patches for each case.

[1] http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc3.html#262

Thanks,
--
Alexei Zakharov,