harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [classlib] Preprocessor (was Re: [classlib][rmi] Code smell - Thread.sleep() in ActivationGroup method)
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:32:36 GMT
On Sunday 29 October 2006 14:04, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> [...]
> 3) Java ME - We've had some interest (Chris?) in looking at using the
> Harmony classlib for ME, which can also have some differences that might
> be most conveniently kept in place in the main codebase.

Yes, I'm still here and still waiting for an answer to my last mail about
bringing Mika to the incubator ...

> [...]
> First, anyone think this is a good idea and second, anyone have any
> experience with tools in this area?

For JavaME I think it's the only way we'd be able to maintain a single source
tree. We need to be able to "#ifdef out" references to classes we don't have,
methods we don't implement, etc..

That much being said, I don't have a recommendation for a tool to use. Java
syntax is sufficiently C-like that cpp is probably do-able, but we'd probably
stumble over a whole series of gotcha's, and cpp isn't exactly [deity]'s gift
to preprocessing anyway. Maybe one of the aspect-oriented tools (with which I
am not at all familiar) could be a better bet?

Cheers,

Chris